The Canadian Diabetes Association recommends all persons living with diabetes to have at least one foot examination per year completed by a Certified Foot Care Nurse. This exam would include foot care education, support and encouragement for self-care preventative maintenance. Clients identified with increased risk are followed on a more regular basis, such as every three months or more based on their risk category.
A Certified Foot Care Nurse is available at the Pinaymootang Health Centre twice a month to provide basic foot care to diabetics and elders in the community. Basic foot care includes the following:
- Basic Foot and Lower Limb Assessment
- Basic Wound Assessment
- Basic Footwear Assessment/Examination
- Corn and Callus Reduction
- Nail Care
- Client Education and Health Promotion (Foot related)
- Referrals to Footwear Fittings
- Referrals to Medical Specialists
To book an appointment for yourself or make a referral for a family member in need of basic foot care contact the Home & Community Care program at the Pinaymootang Health Centre.